10 April 2015
How To Make Makhan And Ghee From Malai At Home
My video: How To Make Makhan & Ghee From Malai At Home (In Hindi)
About Malai, Makhan & Ghee
,Malai is fresh milk cream.
Makhan is butter.
Ghee is clarified butter.
With that, a few more things:
Home made makhan, ghee, or the basic malai or cream is the purest that one can get. No additives, no preservatives! And therefore definitely healthier than the one you get in the market.
Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medicine system considers makhan and especially ghee, homemade that is, to be exceptionally healing and healthy for the body. So much so that it is advised to be consumed on a daily basis.
Cow's milk in Ayurveda is considered supreme. so the malai and therefore the makhan or ghee from it is the best. However, makhan and ghee can be made from any milk. But it should be full fat milk to get a good amount of malai.
With this in mind, in my videos here will show how you can make makhan & ghee from malai easily at home.
The video above is in Hindi while the one below is in English.
But first, the method in writing...
Method To Make Makhan & Ghee From Malai
Remember, if the malai or milk cream is in the fridge, take it out and keep it outside so that it comes to room temperature before you start making makhan.
1. Add a little hot water to the malai & blend it with the blender till the makhan separates out. You can use a manual churner as well.
2. Transfer the butter to a kadhai or wok.
3. Now add cold water from the refrigerator, about a bottle. Wash the butter well in this water and then remove it.
4. Heat the butter now on high heat stirring occasionally till it melts completely and then reduce the flame to low.
5. Keep stirring the melted makhan constantly now till the ghee separates out from the milk solids which stay at the bottom.
6. Heat the ghee till all the froth disappears and then strain out the ghee into a airtight container.
7. Store the ghee in the fridge or outside as per the weather conditions.
1. If the ghee is taking a long time to form after the butter has melted, sprinkle a bit of wheat flour or atta on the butter and then stir the butter. This will help form the ghee immediately.
2. Adding hot water to the malai will make for faster separation of the butter from the malai.
3. Washing the makhan with cold water before making the ghee will help in making the ghee danedaar, a ghee considered to be of top quality.
My video below shows how you can make 4 things from milk cream (In English)
Some of my Other Recipes