11 April 2015
How To Make Punjabi
Sookhi Urad Ki Dal (Tempered Dry Lentils) Recipe
Check out my How To Make Punjabi Sookhi Urad Ki Dal recipe video below.
About Sookhi Urad Ki Dal
Urad dal are black lentils whose skins have been removed and they are also split meaning the seeds are split.
This recipe of black lentils or urad dal is a dry dal that is made by adding ginger, garlic, onions and some other spices.
This dal can be made spicier by adding chopped green chillies to it though we have not added them.
Ingredients (To Boil Dal)
Ingredients (For Tempering Dal After Boiling)
How To Prepare Sookhi Urad Ki Dal
Boiling The Dal
1. Wash dal under running water a few times to clean it.
2. In a kadahi/wok put the dal and water. Keep to boil on high flame. Add the haldi & salt. Heat the water till the dal come to a boil and then simmer/cook the dal till it just becomes soft. It usually takes about 20-25 minutes. Remeber not to overcook the dal or it will become pasty later on.
3. Strain out the water and hold the dal in the strainer so that the remaining water too drains out while you make the tadka/tempering for the dal.
Tempering The Dal
1. Heat desi ghee in a kadhai and when the ghee melts add the chopped onions and stir/fry till they are light pink in color.
2. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir a bit.
3. Add the red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala till the spices and the garlic ginger paste are roasted. You can add a bit of salt at this time if you wish as the salty water in which the dal has been boiled has been strained out.
About 1/4 Tsp should be enough.
4. Add the boiled dal and mix well for a few minutes till the dal is cooked.
5. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves/cilantro and serve hot with chapati or paratha and some pickle.
Some Of My Other Recipes
Pasta In White Sauce
An Italian dish with an Indian twist
Vada Pav (Potato Fritter In Bread Bun)
The popular Mumbai street food
Lauki (Ghia) Ke Kofte (Fried Bottle Gourd balls In Curry)
A traditional Punjabi popular dish
How To Make Makhan & Ghee From Malai At Home
Enjoy pure and healthy homemade ghee and butter