22 April 2015
How To Make Pav Bhaji - Recipe
Watch my Pav Bhaji Recipe video below.
About Pav Bhaji
Pav is a Portuguese word for bread.
Bhaji is a Maharastrian word for vegetable.
Pav Bhaji is the famous street food of Mumbai. It is spicy mashed vegetables with generous garnishing of coriander and chopped onions, topped with a dollop of butter, and eaten with pav, a Maharastrian type of bread which is slit in the middle and crisp fried on a pan.
It is an Indian fast food mostly eaten as a snack but is a full meal in itself.
Method To Prepare Pav Bhaji
1. Put cabbage, tomatoes, peas, potatoes, cauliflower and the carrots in a pressure cooker. Add a glass of water. Put on the lid and pressure/weight and keep on high flame.
2. At the first whistle lower the flame and cook the vegetables for 15 minutes. Then put off the gas.
3. Open the cooker when cool and with a hand masher mash the vegetables.
4. Now heat oil in a pan and roast the chopped onions to a light brown color.
5. Add the ginger garlic paste. Stir a bit and add then add the chopped bell peppers. Roast the ginger garlic paste.
6. Add in the mashed vegetables, pav bhaji masala and salt. Stir mix them and let the water in the vegetables almost dry up.
7. Lower the gas to low/sim now and cook the vegetables.
8. Add butter and mix a few times and then add the chopped coriander leaves. Stir for a few minutes to let it it release its flavor.
9. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped onions and cilantro.
To serve Pav Bhaji
1. Slice each pav in the middle almost all the way in and roast the slit sides in some hot butter in a pan.
2. In a plate add a dollop of butter on the bhaji.
3. Sprinkle some chopped onions and cilantro over the bhaji.
Some of my other Recipes
Meethi Sevaiyyan Kheer (Sweet Vermicelli)
An Indian dessert that is very popular with most people.
Vegetable Rice Pulao
Make a quick healthy rice dish...
Bharvan Baingan (Masala Stuffed Eggplant)
Prepare a traditional Punjabi dish...
Ajwain (Carom Seeds) Paratha
A Punjabi breakfast food...