10 April 2015
Lauki (Ghia) Ke Kofte
(Fried Bottle Gourd Balls In Curry) Recipe
Check out my Lauki (Ghia) Ke Kofte in gravy recipe video below.
About Lauki & Lauki Ke Kofte
Lauki is called Bottle Gourd in English. It is also called Ghia and Doodhi in India. It is a very healthy and light vegetable.
Lauki ke kofte are dumplings made from grated bottle gourd which are deep fried and then added to a curry/gravy.
Lauki ke kofte is a traditional North Indian Punjabi dish that is today very popular all over India.
The recipe will be made in 2 parts -
Making The Koftas
1. To the grated lauki add the besan, salt, garam masala, dhania powder and red chilli powder and mix well. If you feel the besan is less add more as besan is a binder that is going to hold the koftas in shape.
Remember grate the lauki only when you are ready to make this recipe.
2. Heat oil for frying the koftas in a wok and while the oil heats make round balls from this mixture. Keep aside.
3. Once the oil is hot lower the flame and deep fry all the koftas, evenly from both sides so that they get cooked well from within as well.
4. Keep the fried koftas aside.
Ingredients - For Making The Gravy
Making The Gravy
1. Heat oil on high heat. When the oil is hot add the onion garlic paste. When the water has dried up add the dry methi leaves if you wish. Roast the paste till it is lightly browned.
2. After the paste has browned lightly add the tomato ginger puree. Stir mix this.
3. Add the salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and haldi.
4. Mix and roast these spice mixture for 3-5 minutes so that the masala mixture gets properly cooked.
5. Add milk and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Now to this add about 1 to 1 and 1/2 glasses of water. You can vary this quantity depending on how thick or thin you want the gravy to be.
7. Heat the gravy on high heat/flame till it comes to a boil and then lower the flame to low.
8. Cook the gravy for about 10 minutes now and when 5 minutes are remaining add the koftas to it so that the koftas can absorb the gravy.
9. When the lauki kofta is ready, transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves/cilantro.
Some of my other recipes :
Vada Pav (Potato Fritter in Bread Bun)
Pasta In White Sauce