24 April 2015
Besan And Sooji Cheela
(Gram Flour And Semolina Pancake) Recipe
My video below shows how Besan and Sooji Cheela is prepared.
About Besan & Sooji Cheela
Besan is gram flour or Chick pea flour and Sooji, also called Rava, is Semolina. Cheela is akin to a pancake.
Besan & Sooji Cheela is a perfect foil to the egg omlette and it can be called a vegetarian omlette, a great option for vegetarians. It can be had for breakfast and in North India it is usually eaten in the winter season.
Quick to prepare, it is a light, easily digestible dish, in which only a little oil is used. It is a good snack time food as well.
It can be had with some pickle, green chutney, or even tomato sauce.
How To Prepare Besan & Sooji Cheela
a1. Add the sooji, chopped onions, green chillies, ajwain, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and red chilli powder to the besan. That is everything except the baking powder.
2. Add a little water to this and stir the mixture. Add more water if needed to make a lump free batter almost the consistency of a dosa batter.
3. Add the baking powder now and mix it in well. Baking powder will make the cheela crisp.
4. Heat about a tsp of oil in a pan on high heat. Spread the oil in the pan.
5. Check the batter and if thick, thin it by adding some more water.
6. Put some batter mixture on the pan now and spread it thin. Pour a little oil over and around it and cook the cheela a little.
7. Lift the cheela around the edges and flip it over, and cook the other side as well. If you feel oil is less add a little more.
8. Once the pan heats up lower the heat to med/low so that the cheela does not burn.
9. Serve hot when done with some pickle, green chutney and tomato sauce.